Thursday, April 5, 2018

General Conference Considered: Am I Really a Child of God? by Elder Brian Taylor

In the movie "Fiddler on the Roof", Tevye explains that one thing that helped his people keep their balance was their traditions, and that because of those traditions, "every one of us knows who he is, and what God expects him to do."

Mothers, there is power in knowing who we are and what is expected of us, as well.

Elder Brian K Taylor taught about this in his recent general conference address. He said, "When asked, 'How can we help those struggling with [a personal challenge]?' an Apostle of the Lord instructed, 'Teach them their identity and their purpose'.”

When I heard those words, they rang true. I've experienced power in recognizing my identity and purpose! When I am tempted to selfishness, knowing I am a representative of Christ to my children helps me to resist. When I feel discouraged about falling short in so many areas, knowing that I am Heavenly Father's own loved daughter gives me hope and peace.

I loved Elder Taylor's reminder of this when he quoted Brigham Young: “When you … see our Father, you will see a being with whom you have long been acquainted, and he will receive you into his arms, and you will be ready to fall into his embrace and kiss him.”

Satan knows we can find great power in remembering who we are and the sacred importance of our calling as mothers, so he does all he can to belittle our role and to distract us from seeing it's importance. Speaking directly to us Elder Taylor said, "To mothers, especially young mothers, who often feel overwhelmed and underwater while striving to raise 'a sin-resistant generation,' never underestimate your central role in God’s plan. In stressful moments...know that God sanctifies your most difficult days."

This reminded me of a C S Lewis quote I love: "The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one's 'own,' or 'real' life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one's real life -- the life God is sending one day by day."

We must remember on those ordinary, or even on extraordinarily challenging days, that this truly is what we were born to do. This day we are serving God and accomplishing something great as we minister to our families. That is not small or menial or insignificant.

One more favorite quote, this time from G K Chesterton, to put our purpose as mothers in perspective: "How can it be a large career to tell other people's children about the Rule of Three, and a small career to tell one's own children about the universe?
How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No. A woman's function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness.”

I am grateful for Elder Taylor's witness of the importance of recognizing and remembering who I am and what's expected of me. Hopefully reading and rereading his talk (as President Nelson suggested) will strengthen my testimony of the importance of knowing my identity and purpose and of teaching my children of theirs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

General Conference Considered: Am I Really a Child of God? by Elder Brian Taylor

In the movie "Fiddler on the Roof", Tevye explains that one thing that helped his people keep their balance was their traditions, ...